Bariatric surgery is a very effective approach to weight loss, helping patients to adjust eating habits and adopt healthier lifestyle choices. However, not all patients qualify.
If you have ever found yourself asking “Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?” The Wellborn Clinic can help you find the answer, working with you to determine the right course of action for your body and your overall health. With three surgical procedures and a team of dedicated medical professionals, we can help you lose weight and put you on the path to a healthy lifestyle.
To determine if you are a candidate for weight loss surgery, use this calculator to determine your body mass index (BMI).
Body Mass Index
*Note that these are approximate values, and are intended to be used only as a rough guide.
Am I a Candidate?
While candidacy for weight loss surgery varies from patient to patient, successful candidates fit general criteria including:
- For those with a history of unsuccessful attempts to lose weight via conventional methods.
- For those with a BMI of 40 or more, or a BMI of 35 or more in conjunction with a weight-related disease such as diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnea. (For those with a BMI of 30 or more could be a candidate for the Lap Band.)
- For those with a BMI between 28 and 35, the Orbera Gastric Balloon procedure is an option.
- Age between 18 and 65. (Those under 18 or above 65 are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.)
The basic criteria can qualify patients for consultation with our practice, but in order to move forward, patients must provide other records and results, including:
- A letter of medical necessity written by a patient's primary care physician
- A documented medical history of morbid obesity for two years or more, as well as a history of weight loss efforts spanning five years or more that have been ultimately unsuccessful. Evidence of treatment by specialists for conditions related to obesity is also encouraged
- Insurance verification
- Required blood and laboratory tests, including a comprehensive metabolic profile, vitamin levels tests, and organ-specific screening, in addition to a psychiatric evaluation, if necessary
- A commitment to postoperative follow-up appointments on a doctor's suggested schedule
- Attendance at a weight loss seminar (in-person or online) and pre-surgical consultation
Patients at The Wellborn Clinic are also encouraged to take part in other activities at our facility, including membership in our support groups both before and after surgery.
Patients who have a BMI greater than 50 or a documented diagnosis of fatty liver disease must maintain a low-calorie diet for two to four weeks before surgery. Diet options include Atkins, South Beach, or customized diet plans provided by our in-house nutrition professionals. This step is required to demonstrate resolve as well as to decrease the size of the liver to better facilitate successful surgery.
Get Started Today!
If you are considering weight loss surgery or have wondered "Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?," The Wellborn Clinic is here to help. Our surgical team will evaluate your candidacy, help you choose the right weight loss surgery procedure, and prepare you for bariatric surgery as best as possible. Contact Nikki today at 501-663-9600, ext. 110 or email Nikki at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about what The Wellborn Clinic can do for you!